Sunday, January 29, 2006

Races, Ambulances and ACLs

Jacob ran his first race yesterday. The school district here had a fun run for the kids. Jacob's was 1k. All kids ran the same course around the school but they had each grade stagger their start. Jacob went around in his walker. His behavioral therapist, Maricruz, helped push him along. Along the way they had to stop at different stations to do push-ups, sit-ups, etc. Jacob didn't like the push-ups but Greg and Maricruz helped him get them done. Holly snapped photos of everything.

When Jacob got tired he just lifted his legs and sat on the walker while Maricruz pushed. He worked hard though. He was exhausted by the end.

Brigham ran for a bit also and the said, "Daddy, I'm tired."

Afterwards they had a gymnastics show and Brigham was enthralled.

We had a couple of other adventures this week. Thursday, Holly got a sharp cram in her leg and then almost passed out. We called my dad and he said we needed to be worried about a blood clot. So we called 911. A fire truck, ambulance and one of those red trucks that aren't quite a fire truck or an ambulance showed up. They took a bunch of readings and said that she needed to go to the hospital to get checked out. They were going to have me take her but her heart rate dropped when she stood up. So she got a ride in the ambulance.

Luckily Kiersten had been leaving for work when she saw the rescue squad. She had a feeling they were going to our house (she is either inspired or paranoid) and followed them. Sure enough they stopped at our place. So while there were six big guys running around with a stretcher all of the sudden a short blonde girl in maroon scrubs appeared. She watched the kids while I went over to the hospital with Holly.

It turned out to be nothing major. In fact, I don't think we even know what it was. We have figured out that this seems to happen to Holly every 11 years. It happened once when she was almost 12, again at 23 right after we got married and now. We have marked year 45 on our calendar so that we will be ready.

I found out that I tore my right ACL this week. That means surgery again (not the same knee as last time). This will be worse because I won't be able to drive for 6 weeks since it is my right knee. I would say that life is never boring around here but that is pretty much what life is when you have to keep your leg elevated for 6 weeks.

No comments: