Sunday, November 18, 2007

The Marathon

Traffic getting down to Richmond was horrible which meant we missed the whole expo the night before and weren't able to pickup our packets. The next morning we made in just in time to get our packets and head to the start line. It was quite a bit colder this year than last year but I actually preferred the cold.

It turned out to be a nice run. Both Trevor and I improved our times. I hit my wall at about mile 20. But that was much better than last year when I hit it at mile 13. Everything seemed to go by much more quickly this time and I felt much more mentally prepared than I had the year before. Last year there was always that worry in the back of my mind that I might not finish. This year I knew exactly what I had to do to get done and that I would be able to do it. It really was amazing how much easier that made things.

The traveling cheering section was great. Holly said that Brigham had a blast cheering for everyone on the course. She said that after they saw me on mile 17 Brigham wouldn't ride in the stroller anymore. He just wanted to run everywhere.

When I saw the finish line I was amazed at how fast I was able to run. Just a mile earlier I could hardly put one foot in front of the other but somehow seeing that finish line and wanting so badly to be able to stop running gave me the energy to practically sprint to the end.

Brigham was very excited to see me. He especially liked my medal. He told me that I had won the race. He asked if he could keep the medal. I told him that I would loan it to him until he got one for running his own marathon. Then he could give it back.

It was a good time. The National Marathon is coming up in DC at the end of March. We'll see if I can maybe do that one as well.

Here are some photos from the marathon and Halloween as well.

1 comment:

Rain in My Head said...

So impressed you guys did it again!! If you do the DC one we'll come cheer you on :).